Are your sofa cushions getting a little flat, or need some new life? Did you know that if you steam your foam cushions it will recondition them? When you put your steam iron on foam, you can actually see the cells expand. Furniture quality foam (not craft foam) is organic, not synthetic and it dries out. By steaming your foam, cushions will come back to their original size and shape and it will extend the life of your cushions.
Thursday, February 18, 2016
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
Making a Ruffle on your Pillow
- Ruffler Foot made specifically for your sewing machine. (Not a generic one)
- Fabric for ruffle: Cut width is twice the finished width plus 1” seam allowance by 2 ½ times the desired finished length.To Make:
- Fold cut ruffle fabric in half lengthwise, with wrong sides together, and serge or zig zag edges. Trim the starting end to a point.
- Set your ruffler to setting 1, which will make 1 tiny pleat for each stitch the sewing machine makes. Adjust the fullness of the ruffle by adjusting the set screw up or down. If needed, the fullness can also be adjusted by the length of the stitch.
- Always do a gauge before starting your ruffle project. Using your actual ruffle fabric, place two pins 10” apart. Gather, and adjust settings until the pins measure 4” apart. Now you’re ready to make your ruffle!
- When making a ruffle, place fabric in between the two layers of black teeth.Note: A brass stiletto is a helpful tool to use when making ruffle.
- Start your ruffle like this.
- End like this, overlapping about 2”. If you have extra ruffle, scrunch up, and sew across the ruffle.
- Trim of the excess.
Sunday, February 14, 2016
Saturday, February 13, 2016
Day 4 of lent, and I'm keeping up!! I'm off to enjoy the country's oldest Winter Carnival in Saranac Lake. (Will post pictures tomorrow!) It's expected to be a high temp of -6 degrees today, with wind chills in the minus 20's. I want to stay warm to enjoy all the outdoor activities, so here's my tip:
to keep my feet warm, I need to keep them dry. Before I put my socks on, I'm coating my feet with Vaseline. This will keep my feet dry and warm.